Wednesday, April 18, 2012

Have a crunchy period!

OK ladies. This post is just for us! Squeamish leave now!
*
*
*
*
*
Still with me? OK good.
I started menstruating at the age of 13. By the age of 15 I knew something was wrong. The pain was unbearable. (now that I have s child, I can 100% say it was as bad as labor! I would shake uncontrollably, get diarrhea, and at times, pass out.
At the age of 19 I was diagnosed with endometriosis. At 20, PCOS.
I always used tampons. I never thought of another option. My mom sat me down and explained the risks of Toxic Shock Syndrome and I understood.
After having C I used pads for the postpartum bleeding. When I got my first period I still had pads left so I used them. There was very little cramping. I was surprised but figured it had something to do with recently giving birth.
I decided to do some research anyways. What I found made me cry. Yes, I was still hormonal but I feel I found the answers I never knew I had been looking for! What did I find?
I found that tampons (and pads for that matter) are loaded with chemicals. I also found that the vaginal tissues are some of the most sensitive and absorbent in a woman's body. Put those two together and it's a recipe for disaster.
I continued to use pads over the next few cycles. I continued to have manageable pain.
Then I found something called Mama Cloth. This is basically washable, reusable pads. I decided to make a few and try them out. (Let me tell you, my husband was not thrilled with the idea. It seriously grossed him out.)
The first cycle I used my Mama Cloth I had zero pain, zero. I was floored. My husband was happy for me, even though he still didn't like the idea.
I'm happy with the Mama Cloth. Even using free and clear detergent only one has minimal staining.
What about medication for when cramping finds it's way in despite all efforts? I personally don't take medication unless absolutely necessary. Instead, I use a heating pad. That's not always an option with an active toddler but it's what I've found helps the most. The other option is walking/ moving. My husband has built a roughly 1/8 mile go-kart track in our field so I have a perfect place to walk. C loves it because I push him around in his car so he just thinks it's play time.
If you suffer from painful cramps I would recommend removing chemicals as much as possible, both from hygiene products as well as medication.
Here's an article that talks about chemicals in tampons:
natural-fertility-info.com/tampons-infertility-are-your-feminine-care-products-affecting-your-fertility.html
Try a crunchy period!

No comments:

Post a Comment